Someone stole our trashcan. Yes, our trashcan. It isn't even an unusually nice trashcan. And yet it is gone. I saw it sitting out there with all the other empty trashcans, but a couple hours later when I went to bring it in it was nowhere to be found. It didn't even have the lid outside with it and our neighbors have nicer trash cans than we do. Maybe it is retaliation for the fact that the last few trash days we have left our trashcan out for multiple nights because it was too cold and wet to bother bringing it in. Grrrrrrrrr.
Car repairs this week thankfully fell into the "best case" category. Well, as far as car repairs go. Based on the noise and online guides I deduced that it could be as simple as some bearings or as tragic as a transmission problem. Thankfully it was the bearings. Instead of going to the library I just sat at the car shop and studied while they fixed it. Grrrr.
First direct impact that the slight recession has had on me came to light today. Some of the money that I have saved to pay for tuition is in a ladder of CDs. Up until now I have been getting around 6% on my 6-12 month CDs, and only had one CD earning a weak 4.9%. I just went to put my scholarship money into another CD and everything was at 3.4% to 3.65%. After double checking the fact that my savings account earns me 3.4% I have decided I might actually have to shop around for rates. Come on America, pull yourself together. Stupid mortgage crisis. Shame on greedy mortgage companies for extending loans to people who probably wouldn't be able to afford it. And shame on everyone else for overextending themselves credit wise through their mortgage, credit cards, and everything else. The economy might not boom as much but we would be much more stable with balanced budgets: national and personal. Buy only what you can afford, and trust me, you don't "need" that. Learn the difference between needs and wants. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Logan is feeling better and my favorite thing about kids getting older is...
They can go out and play BY THEMSELVES! We have also been outside this week so that Logan can ride his trike. It has been cold and windy, but Logan doesn't mind because he can pedal all around. :)
Friday, February 01, 2008
Par for the Course
Posted by Jules at 11:42 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hey Julie,
Can't believe someone actually stole your trashcan. People are jerks.
Amtrustdirect.com has 4.60% on savings accounts right now. Also, I think Zion's Bank offers pretty good rates as well.
Really, I just hope they put that trashcan to good use. And if anyone has a need for a random trashcan lid (sled anyone?) then give me a ring.
Also, thanks for link to CD rates... I have found a few other places with better rates as well; however, I am still just ticked because I don't want to have my CDs at institutions all over the place since they are mostly my very short term investments, and my other bank always had the best rates I could find.... but I guess I might just have to bite the bullet to get myself that extra 1%
It's worth it to get the extra percent, isn't it? And with electronic banking, it's not too hard. But let me know what you decide. I'd like to learn more.
That's pretty funny about your trash can. The can is always better on the other side of the street. I had some friends in high school who tied trashcans on opposite sides of the street together with piano wire, so when a car went past, the cans crashed together loudly behind the car!
Oh, sure. It was Mom's "friends" that tied the trash cans together.
I am embarrassed to admit that hearing about Mom's friends made me wonder exactly how funny that would be and kind of made me want to try it. I will resist (but only because no one around here has metal trashcans which I imagine are much more fun!)
We had the opposite experience - we came out last week and found a trashcan that wasn't ours on our front porch (I think someone put it there after it was so windy last week adn figured it was ours, since we didn't have one out). Was it yours? :)
Post a Comment