Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Camping at Garner State Park

was great fun! We camped out at Garner State Park (out 290) with Mike and Linda (Jim's Dad and Step Mom) as well as Matt and Theresa (Jim's twin bro and his wife). Seth didn't want to go home. We arrived late Friday evening, and got settled in fairly quickly. Jim set up the tent in the dark and toughed out the cold night outside. It was so chilly that I slept with Logan in the cabin since I didn't know how he would sleep. Saturday we went hiking in the morning. It was incredibly steep. Seth had boundless hiking energy and led the way most of the morning. His favorite part was Crystal Cave, aptly named for the crystal like flecks in the rocks making them glitter when you shine your flashlight around. Logan started out the hike screaming, but after switching to my back and seeing the awesome views he said, "Wow!" Jim and Seth spent the afternoon fishing and flying kites. Seth officially caught his first fish! In the evening Matt and Theresa arrived for dinner and smores. We tried to do smores on the indoor fireplace because it was so windy, and they were yummy, but the fire smoked the whole cabin. I think that night we all probably suffered from mild smoke inhalation! It was even colder (possibly freezing), but again Jim, Seth, and Matt slept in the tent. The next morning after packing up we walked along the river. Our family had a wonderful time! The food was delicious, thanks to Jim's stepmom, Linda, who did all the prep and cooking. Logan got to eat snacks the whole weekend, which made him the happiest camper! Seth can't wait to do more fishing and I know I can't wait to get out and go camping again. Logan slept the second night in bed with me and he slept well, so I am not too afraid of tent-ing it next time with both of the boys!

Pictures are in our new photo album...

  • Camping!

  • These are not all of the pictures. Our camera had dead batteries so when we get pictures from everyone else we can post hiking pictures and the awesome catch. These are all the last morning after everyone had left and we hiked along the Frio River. Enjoy!

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    The camping trip sounds like a great success! And I'm glad you had a cabin, even if the tent "might" have worked OK. I'm more at the cabin stage myself. You are building lots of great memories as a family; the kids will benefit from it very much, in a lasting way.

    Anonymous said...

    I forgot to note that the pictures are FUN to see. Thanks for posting them.