Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Thank You to Everyone That Does Their Part


First I would like to say "Thank You" to all of our hard working troops. They and their families sacrifice so much. Despite all the political mess and debates and independent of the debating over the reasons we went to war, I want to say that I am super proud of the work they are doing. There is good being done, and yet there is so much more to do.

Why we are unable or just unwilling to help our own in their times of need. By "own" I mean all mankind despite nationality, ethnicity, or anything else. I do believe the best way to help someone is to help them help themselves, and there are many out there whose lives won't get better until they decide to do something about it. But what happened to helping all the other people that just genuinely need a hand up or some basic needs met.
Yesterday Jim and I were appalled to learn that the Williamson County Crisis Center is severely under funded and overcrowded. The Hutto PD is holding a raffle for a Harley to raise funds. Unfortunately, the tickets were not selling (only $10 each) and they still had 2000 tickets. The raffle was started at the end of January after the Crisis Center had to turn away 64 women and children because they were out of hotel vouchers and had no space left at the center. 64! It is possible that if these women didn't find shelter somewhere else, that they might not ever have the courage or opportunity to ask for help again.
I will spare you any other social problem rants even though I have much to say about the foster care system, disaster victims (who thought we would make it through Katrina/Rita without some sort of insurance "scandal"), crimes/punishments/trials/jails.... my list is almost endless. I decided today that I, that we, that most people don't do enough. We don't care enough anymore about our neighbors or anyone other than ourselves. As a family, we make as many financial contributions as we can, and that will continue to increase as we make more money. But even then we could eat out less, rent fewer movies and donate more. We donate all of our old clothing and household items to varying organizations. I get little neat emails about some of the causes I believe in and frequently send short letters to my congress men/women (especially when online services or door to door pick-up make it extremely easy for me). I applaud the people that make sure I get the neat little emails or go door-to-door to solicit support for important actions. However, what I do isn't enough. I am going to find more time to contribute. Everyone needs to find more time to contribute. Especially for the sake of the children. They deserve more than "basic" needs. They deserve safety, opportunity, inspiration and much much more.

Wake Up America. Throw away your tabloids and TVs. It doesn't matter what star is wearing what or eating what. It does matter that somewhere in our own nation and many places outside of our own nation there are hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands.... Countless children and families enduring disease, war, poverty, famine, drought, death and not through their own fault or choosing. Trials that you and I can't even begin to fathom.

2 comments:

CA Mom said...

Your words touched me to the depths and brought tears to my eyes. I have felt the same way for years and haven't yet made good on my promise to myself to do more! I'm going to try harder, thanks to your words.

Anonymous said...

I echo what Mom said. I talk a good story about being interested in the well being of others, and Mom and I are willing to contribute financially, but other than that I can't lay claim to any real involvement inactivities that can better people's lives. I appreciate your thoughts.