Thursday, August 24, 2006

Chomp, the fugitive on the run!



Oh we had a scary day today! Once I left the gate open and Chomp got out, but he only went as far as two houses away and quickly came running when we called him. He has always been okay being tied up occasionally and doesn't really fight it. So, today I was going to tie him up out back and work a little bit on our patio; however, I decided to tie him up out front where we usually stake him out. I provided shade, treats, and water then set about to do my home repairs. An hour or so later I felt impressed to check on him and he was just lounging in the shade like usual. Later when I came inside I again felt impressed to check on him, but left him alone until I left to pick Seth up from school.

Chomp was gone- 15 foot cable, stake, and all.

I immediately went into panic mode and started calling for him. When there was no immediate response I knew I still had to go get the kids from school. After that we drove every street in the neighborhood slowly with both Seth and I calling his name quite loudly. To no avail. We got home and I posted on our HOA group website that Chomp was lost as well as a couple other lost pet sites. Seth said a prayer that Chomp would come home safely. I finally got Seth into bed tonight and again at bedtime prayers he remembered to request Chomp's safety and return. We were hoping that he would be slowed down by dragging the 15-20 foot cable or that his microchip would come in handy if he got taken to a shelter. Then tonight just as I was about to put Logan to bed the call came that Chomp was found.

It turns out that Chomp had gotten his cable stuck around a pole just two blocks from our house. (Maybe he was slowly making his way home as he wasn't there when we drove by). The neighbors at first thought that he belonged to someone visiting the home next door but then finally concluded that he didn't. So they gave him some water and checked his tags. We were so grateful that they found him and kept him safe for us to come and pick him up. I offered them a small reward for their trouble, but they refused. It is great to have such kind neighbors. Also in response to my online posts I had some other people keeping their eyes out as well.

Talking with my mom tonight I was reminded of the time that our family dog, Cindy Loo-Hoo Barker Evans (is that name correct?) escaped one time for two weeks. She was old and had gone blind (through unfortunate circumstances) and apparently we had all given up on her survival when she was found and taken to a vet/shelter (I can't remember now). I remembered the story of her being found, but I had forgotten that she had been gone so long! I do remember a couple of times when Cindy and Cinnamon (T.I.M.) were young and they got out of the gate. They were fast dogs compared to my short little legs. I remember one time in particular trying to chase Cinnamon down Cahill! Cinnamon was a good little guy and I have fond memories of taking him for walks (and he peed everywhere) and am sorry that I didn't walk him and play with him more often. As a side note this is cute picture of Seth and Chomp which reminds me of the Christmas day that Santa brought Cinnamon (as well as a whole zoo!). Cinnamon the poor little puppy was worn out from excitement and I remember him falling asleep on me while I lied near the doorway from the living/dining room to the kitchen/family room. It may not have realistically been a long time, but my little mind I remember that it seemed I lay there FOREVER because I loved him so much and just wanted to let him sleep!

Logan loves to pet Chomp and feed him treats, and Chomp tolerates Logan's "petting" and Logan's splashing in his water bowl. Tonight we were outside and Logan was looking for Chomp. Then tonight when Chomp loaded into the car to come home, Logan was just grinning and laughing and reaching out to pet him! He is a great family dog!

2 comments:

CA Mom said...

Yep, Cindy-lou-who barker Evans was a wonderful dog. She escaped while we were on vacation b/c the pet care neighbor left the gate open (I've since forgiven CS). She was found by a kind stranger on 183 where she narrowly escaped being hit and was taken to the animal shelter where she lanquished in her dark, unfamiliar world for 2 weeks. Cinnamon had a similar adventure, but was gone a shorter amount of time, and was reclaimed from the shelter.
I miss my doggy kids! And I'm so glad Chomp is home! What a handsome chomper he is.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like Chomp is a good dog, I am sure Jim can tell you stories about his "Nannie" Mave, the red setter that taught Matt and Jim how to walk.. Or about Winston who would keep them safe.
I am glad you have found a dog for the boys.
NaNa