Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Lone Boy

When I was in first grade my parents threw me a fabulous birthday party at my house. I remember backyard games, cake, and friends- mostly a large handful of girl friends. Except my friend Scott. Scott was lucky enough to be one of only a couple boys invited to my birthday party. Unlucky for him he was the only one that could come (or maybe that was willing to). I distinctly remember that he bought me a My Little Pony, which were my favorite (possibly thanks to his awesome mom)! In fact, if I had all of my My Little Ponies, I could most likely still pick that one out. He was grossed out by his present to me, grossed out by the girls, didn't really want to be there, and had to leave early for another function (for which he was most likely eternally grateful). I didn't really understand this. Because, hello? me = awesome and it was a birthday party!





I realize his dilemma now because of Seth.

Seth likes flag football, but he doesn't mind missing football games for things like Cub Scouts. No problems and no regrets.

Football practice is on Tuesday nights.

Seth recently got invited to a surprise birthday party on a Tuesday night. In an effort to maintain the secret we were instructed not to tell our kids about it until the actual Tuesday. I KNEW he would be thrilled to go. The birthday girl is a friend of his that lives nearby and who he really likes a lot. They play together pretty well. He loves to be funny for her, as he likes to show off for the girls (and just about anyone else too). Plus, they were going to eat pizza.

I knew he would want to go instead of going to football practice.

Instead he said, "I'm not sure. There will be lots of girls."

WHAT?!? Did I forget to mention there would be pizza?

I let him think about it though I could tell that he really did want to go. But could he admit that he WANTED to go to a birthday party for a GIRL? Don't girls have cooties?

I quote:
"It would be fun but it will probably just be all pink and everything. She just likes pink. And purple."
"I bet I'll be the only boy there. [She] said I'm so funny and I make her laugh. So, okay even if she invited other boys they probably can't come but I'll just make everyone laugh. All the girls."


He finally admitted that he wanted to go, and then he was all excited about it. Of course, he attempted to go undercover. I wrapped the package in layers of pink tissue paper (seriously- I had no idea that I was out of b-day paper and also didn't have any large gift bags- eck!) with a white ribbon.

Seth wrote on the front-

To: [Girl's Name]
From: Nobody


Yeah, I'm kind of embarrassed about that but I let him take it anyway because he was so happy and giggly about his cleverness. :)

I think this might be the last "girl party" he is willing to attend for quite some time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Smiths said...

Seth is the coolest! We all look up to him in our house. :)

Alisa said...

That is so cute. Savannah's best little friend, Jackson, is going through the same thing right now. Girly stuff really upsets him. Savannah just can't understand it, "But you can be the prince Jackson!"