San Antonio and Snakes!
On our way down to San Antonio from Austin we passed this place and I decided we should finally venture inside, knowing it would be a huge hit! (though kinda pricey).
It was one of those places the kids love and you hate. (either because you feel sorry for the animals having tiny homes, like me, or you get the heebee-jeebees). The front room is full of snakes, of every variety!! From anacondas to boas to rattlesnakes to milk snakes to cobras. And snakes of all sizes! Now the snake farm doesn't limit itself to snakes. There are crocodiles, iguanas, scorpions, capybaras (the largest rodents- and a pic,
so you don't have to google them), a zebra, ring-tailed lemurs (Seth's favorite animal of all time), baboons, and a handful of other things- Including the petting zoo which we did not go into.
While we were there the petting zoo animals escaped briefly as did an iguana after its cage got left open. Seth and I spotted the iguana. Do you trust these guys to keep the venomous snakes locked up?!?
Seth was thrilled to hold a ball python!!
We thought we had a snake adventure at the Snake Farm until tonight when we were walking along the riverwalk and spotted this...
This is a diamondback water snake and I think we spotted one. It was long and really thick and solid! Maybe 45 inches long. Just sunning on a cement slab next to the bottom of the water fall (about 10 feet below us). When it heard us it darted into the water and after swimming around for a while it found the place it was looking for along the wall and dived under water. Fabulous sighting!
The boys and I are extremely excited to have spotted such a large snake in the "wild". Oh, and when you go on the riverwalk boats, don't fall in!
On a cuter note, we also saw a duck mom with 7 ducklings paddling around downstream.
(None of these pictures are mine. Again with the camera cable being packed and all that. Maybe we will get to start unpacking this weekend. Here's hoping!)
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
"S" is for.....
Posted by Jules at 7:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I can't wait to see you guys down here, but seriously, you better have left all your rodent and snake sightings behind you!
Sounds like a cool place. And how fun to spot a snake in the wild!
julie! hey, it is jen (sorensen) Scott. I read your blog occasionally! My mom just called me and told me that Sis. Jasperson died yesterday!! I was so sad. Just thought I would tell you.
Your boys are cute. I have been to the snake farm. We saw a two headed snake. Good luck with the move. Just did one of those and they kinda suck. :)
Post a Comment