Thursday, January 10, 2008

The other night we smelled a burning smell in the kitchen, like plastic melting in the dishwasher or a hot electronics piece. But we couldn't find it. I assumed it was because Logan had run the drying cycle of the dishwasher earlier with no dishes inside; however, the dishwasher smelled okay inside.

Later we discovered a burned out light bulb in the kitchen. A 5-year compact florescent that had only be used less than a year. Something shorted out and burned the bulb. So instead of investigating electrical problems we decided to replace the light fixture. So I did. (I won't brag about that because it is the most simple home project around.)

The kitchen light fixture wasn't grounded at all. The grounding wires were both hanging loosely and the other electrical wires were connected so poorly that I think one had even come out of the wire nut. Nice. Good thing I regularly test my smoke detectors!

But, no worries. As long as our other light fixtures are installed correctly (who knows if they are) then our home won't be burning down anytime soon due to an electrical wire. The new light fixture is installed and lighting our dining area.

(no pics of the beauty because I am too busy. Sorry. Guess you will have to come over and see it yourself.)

3 comments:

melissa said...

glad your house didn't burn down. that'd be a real bummer. :-)

Anonymous said...

One would think that inspections would catch all of those items, but obviously not. A quick story. After Grandma and Grandpa Evans had been living in Boise for over 20 years, they asked me to help replace a fan in one of the bathrooms since it had never worked. When I checked it out, I discovered that it was still a brand new fan, and the wires had never even been unrolled or connected! So it proved to be an easy job, too.
I guess sloppy work is more common than we want to believe.
And I'm glad it didn't burn your house down!

Sheyenne said...

Wow, I'm impressed by your fix-it-ness! Okay, we've had a few fluorecent lights burn out in our kids' rooms. Wanna come check them out? Because even if it is a simple job, I have absolutely no idea how to do anything with wires, and I really don't want to have a 3rd burned down house. So seriously, do you wanna?!?