Friday, January 11, 2008

In the middle of the man hunt... (seriously!)

Yesterday I took the kids over to Target to exchange a set of glasses. Afterwards, we headed across the street to return some light bulbs to Walmart and pick up something else. It was just a few minutes till 4. (Remember the time, because this is a key point later). As I pull into the parking lot a police cruiser crosses the street a few aisles in front of me and it looks like he had a big gun sticking out the side of his window. As I got closer I could clearly see it was a weapon and he pulled up alongside another police car coming the other way. That made me curious and on-edge, but I still pulled into a parking space. Seth started to swing his door open, but as I looked carefully around I saw multiple police vehicles (motorcycles and cars- like a dozen or more in total just from my vantage point) surrounding the parking lot and cruising down the aisles. Oddly enough, people in Texas apparently aren't bothered by this because almost everyone in the parking lot was still casually parking and heading into and out of the stores, except for a couple people who were watching the police. Yeah, strange. I wasn't about to get out of my car! So, I told Seth to quickly close his door and buckle back up. The few officers who were outside of their cars were looking around and had their hands poised on their guns, ready to draw. We pulled out of our space and quickly headed for the exit. Stopped at the red light behind a few cars we were right across from a few police cars and officers. The light turned green and I was relieved to start leaving when suddenly an officer darted out and hit one of the cars in front of me on the trunk of the car to get him to stop. Thankfully he did stop! As they approached the car I wondered what I was supposed to do. Do I drive around or stop and wait. Really none of those options were favorable to me if there was going to be shooting involved. I finally decided to drive around because it seemed the officers were talking to him fairly amicably and checking out his drivers license. Poor guy, how terrible is it to somewhat fit the description of a person that the police are hunting. I bet that was an intense few minutes for his day!

So, we went to another store instead, but today I searched to see if I could find out what all the fuss had been about. Seth was fairly certain it was a robber. And he was right!

  • First Bank Robbery of the Year!


  • Yes, an ARMED bank robber had robbed the bank in the same parking lot where we parked at only 3:45pm, just a few minutes before our arrival. While I bet he hit I-35or the toll road quickly, he could have been in a car near me or in the same parking lot! But while this isn't near as scary or intense as the poor folks that were in the bank at the time, it is our little claim to excitement for the week! I am glad that no one was hurt.

    5 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    So I guess that was the big hullabaloo!! Regardless of why or who they were after I know it was intense!

    Sheyenne said...

    Whoa! I definitely would have been one of the oblivious people who parked and walked in without noticing a thing though.

    melissa said...

    wow-that IS really intense! and exciting though!! very cool. nothing exciting here has happened lately-oh, except someone stole the propane tank from our grill on our back porch-I'm getting a fence up quick and gonna put some barbed wire across the top!

    Anonymous said...

    Unreal! I'm so glad you are all safe. And I'm really glad you used your keen analytical strength to figure out that this is not a good time to be walking around through the manhunt area. It amazes me how some people think the whole world is Disneyland and nothing really bad can happen.

    Anonymous said...

    Actually, referring to ca mom's comment, I sort of think that San Diego is Disneyland!