
... and many hours of sleep I am sure. But let me back up and explain a little bit. Both of the boys have been anxious for Logan to sleep in a bed. So, with the upcoming arrival of a new cousin on Jim's side of the family who will eventually use the crib we thought it was time to try the bed out. Summer is also better then the school year because Seth and Mom both need more sleep during the school year.
Now the part about losing a finger. I decided to take it upon myself to take the bunk beds apart. Now many of you who continually underestimate my raw physical strength and amazing capabilities will think this was a crazy idea. But, actually it was fairly easy. I unloaded the mattress and board from the top bed, removed the pegs, lifted the top bed down, and started to move the bottom bed. Well, it was pretty heavy so instead of actually breaking a sweat I decided to take the mattress off, then figured I would take the board out too and give the whole bed a good cleaning. This is where I went wrong. I just didn't know it yet though. I moved both bed frames into place, then replaced the first board and mattress. I should never have removed the second board because as I was placing it back in, I stepped on something sharp, jumped, dropped the board and got my hand stuck between the headboard and the bottom board. I actually could have slipped my hand out with only a mildly painful scrape on the knuckles, but the board was caught on my wedding ring which was about to rip my whole ring finger off. Seth and a couple friends of his came and lifted the other end of the board enough for me to take control of it and get my hand out. Unfortunately, my ring had been bent out of shape severely and while it wasn't cutting off blood supply to my finger it was still pretty tight because it was squished from a circle to a lopsided rectangle/oval combo. When Jim got home we finally cut it off because it was mildly hurting and we couldn't get enough leverage to bend it back. I am very sad about this, but at least I got the beds down and put together, right? Small consolation.
But, in the end Logan was thrilled to sleep in a "big boy bed" and couldn't contain his excitement. For the two hours between setting the beds up and actually going to bed Logan wanted to play "night night" and pretend to sleep on his bed. It was really cute. When the boys first went to bed Logan was scared so I stayed in there for a little while. Then his excitement kicked in and he wouldn't go to sleep, even though he was so tired. After he came out once, Jim went in there for a few more minutes before Logan crashed out. He did sleep the whole night, didn't lose his binkies (my big fear) and even slept in a little bit today. Nap time today went much smoother. I put Logan down awake like I normally do, and he came over and opened the door a couple times before I carted him back to bed and he fell asleep. Hopefully, each day gets a little easier! The crib is still up, just in case it doesn't get easier, or it gets worse... but we are hoping to have it down in a week or so. Especially because the boys beds are next to each other (like a king size) to help Logan be motivated to stay in bed. (It is a pain putting him into bed, and after Logan is adjusted we will probably move the beds into an L shape). But anyway, between a "king size" bed and a crib, there isn't much room for their bookshelf so it is temporarily in the hallway! So, here's hoping we can dump the crib soon! Wish us luck and sanity please!
(Logan doesn't insist on actually sleeping with Seth, but just wanted to cuddle with him for the picture this morning.)
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Logan moves to a bed and Mom only loses one finger....
Posted by Jules at 11:19 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ow! Your finger actually survived, though, right?? Even though the ring didn't make it? I was worried when I read that headline and thought that you are just too stoic not to even call and let us know. And I've read stories of people who lost fingers because of rings getting caught - yuck, although in some cases the finger was reattached successfully. Can the jeweler re-do the ring? The pics are cute and cozy-looking. But Logan looks like his legs have grown way long in the last picture! Anyway, I hope the new arrangement is very satisfying for all of you. And maybe you can give up the heavy lifting for a couple of days :-)
CA Mom
You didn't get a chance to tell me the whole story of the bed move! Your poor finger and ring. Oh the sacrifices and pain we moms must endure :)
wow! i'm sorry about the whole thing! the ring...the smashed appendage...i hope he keeps sleeping better and better to make it all worth it! (and btw, thanks for publishing the cute baby pics of my baby!!)
Post a Comment