Thursday, May 31, 2007

Library Fun



We are lucky to have a city library that offers a whole floor designed for kids, with areas specifically for everyone from toddler to teen. They always have great story times; however, in the summer they also offer lots of neat performances, classes, and activities all for free. After Logan's nap today we enjoyed

  • Chicken Dog
  • ;
    a one-man show that included juggling, yo-yo tricks, unicycle tricks, two performing dogs, and a talking parrot! It was also kick-off day for the summer reading program. After the show the boys enjoyed some free cookies and lemonade. I am excited that we are doing the summer reading program again this year! Seth checked out a bunch of non-fiction easy readers. His latest collection included books on wasps, piranhas, bats, and rattlesnakes. Very boy. Seth was excited to see that they offer a chess club this summer. (Grandpa, I hope you are ready to play lots of chess with your "rare" chess set! I am sure Tyler and Seth will be!) We are going to check it out next week, and I am hoping that it is a good friendly environment for Seth to learn and practice. I also noticed that they have an abacus class this summer for ages 5 and up. I am hoping Seth will think that is fun as well. If not, then no big deal as we will do plenty of math practicing; however, I think it could be a super experience. Nothing like summer learning, eh? Okay, maybe not quite, but I promise to fill free time with lots of swimming and playing. Logan especially loves to swim- stories of him in the pool will just have to wait for pictures though!

    1 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Boy, I'm sad that I didn't get to attend the Chicken Dog performance.
    As we now have two chess sets in the house, we can have round robin tournaments with Tyler on one board and Seth on the other, while Grammy, me, and other adults cycle through. That's also exciting.
    But the most exciting to me is the abacus class! I once learned how to use them, but have since mostly forgotten. We have an abacus on the end table in our living room! And I would love to have someone show me how to use it again. When I was in Korea they used them in schools, banks, and all other businesses, and people were very skilled in their use.