Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Yard Update

So far it has been a productive week. I got our sprinkler system up and running manually, which I was relieved to find all the valves working properly(except one that seems to stick a little, but 1 out of 14 is not bad). So, now we just have to replace a handful of broken heads, then reconnect the wiring to the timer. I will probably have to replace the solenoids on the top of the valves (they receive the signal from the timer to turn the valve open/shut), and run a new line of wire; however, that is such a minimum thing to get our automatic sprinkler system up and running. The original owner installed it, but the people that owned the home before us never used it. It will definitely make watering all my planters and the grass (in front and back) much easier. We are going to throw down a little extra bermuda seed in a couple weeks in the backyard so that we get a lawn back there as fast as possible :) Everything is starting to grow, the trees are budding, and the rest of my plants are coming this week. I am also hoping that my Royal Empress Tree comes this month. That should be my fast grower this year. I don't have pictures that do justice to how funky and weedy our yard and planters were when we moved in. Those of you that saw it may remember. The current photos show how far we have come already, and although the "grass" looks green it is still somewhat weedy, but there is plenty of bermuda and buffalo grass there!

  • The Yard- March 2006
  • 4 comments:

    CA Mom said...

    Spring is delightful! It's great to see those little buds and then have the late summer pictures to show how far you've come. I'm in awe of your sprinkler system knowledge - what to go!

    Melissa said...

    what a nice size yard you have! I haven't seen it yet! You are amazing--all the work you're doing! good job! :-)

    Unknown said...

    I love the big yard. Does it get expensive to water during the summer?

    Jules said...

    Nope, not expensive to water because we have Bermuda grass which is extremely resiliant in these parts. Last summer we only watered our front yard every few weeks and it was so green. This winter we didn't water, but had the drought here in TX so our grass has to recover. This year will cost more as well because we will water the back yard more frequently than last year... but not by much! :)