Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Easy Step Gate... Not So Easy...


We all know how sleep deprived I am with Logan. Well, last night was exceptionally bad. We were up every hour until 2am, then we were lucky enough to be awake until 5am! This sleep deprivation almost killed me (before it drove me insane which we are very close to)! We bought a baby gate (which doubles as a great puppy gate!). It is pressure mounted between the two walls and installed easily. It has a locking handle and a little "door" that swings open in the middle of the gate. But, since it is pressure mounted, there is a rail that goes the entire width of the gate at the very bottom. Now, because of the baseboards you have to mount this thing a couple inches off of the ground. Really this is no biggie as it comes naturally to step over the gate. At least to normal human beings, seeing as we have many friends with this same gate and no emergency room visits; however, it seems this gate is also Julie proof as well. At 2am I groggily and quickly made my way to Logan's room- hoping to help him relax before he woke up too much. The gate door was open, and I forgot the gate was there so I just barreled through the doorway. My foot caught the rail at the bottom and brought me down to the cold hard tile below. AUGH! Apparently, the "Easy Step" doesn't come quite so easily to me. My knee is swollen and black and blue! Tonight I am going to lock the gate so that I only run into it, and not fall over it!

2 comments:

CA Mom said...

Wow! And ow! Your poor knee - I'm so sorry to hear about this, but very glad it wasn't a face plant. Before you go insane, let me know and if there's anything at all I can do to help, I will do it. It's amazing how you've carried on so far.
I love your blog.

Unknown said...

I hope that your knee is feeling better. We use the gates as doggie gates too. I always try and take them down at night, because I do NOT have the easy step. I trip right over them every time.