Thursday, April 10, 2008

If only they worked under water....my gills, I mean.


The nightlight is glowing warmly in the corner when I give my boys their final kisses and bid them good night. Only tonight Seth and I had a special conversation.

Me- "Seth, do you know your my specialist big guy?"

Seth- "I know"

Me-"But, do you..."

Seth; "Mom, what are these things?" (as he reaches up and touches the, um... wrinkles on my forehead.

Me- "Oh, just little wrinkles. I must be getting soooo old." (I tried to say this sarcastically, but he just agrees.)

Seth- "Oh. Yeah. How funny. They look like gills."

Me- "Gills?"

Seth- "Um. And. You know, like when you just twitch, it just looks like when the gills open and close."

Me- (in a hurry to end this lovely metaphor between my face and fish gills)- "Oh, interesting. I love you. Good night."

Seth- (as he touches his own brow) "Boy. I'm glad I don't have any of those."


Oh, Seth. One day you too will become a fish.

In the meantime I want to know if this makes me a cool mom. I mean, he thinks fish are cool and I apparently look like one. This gives me a chance, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh, probably not for that reason. But you have other wonderful qualities to fall back on that make you a cool mom.

melissa said...

wow-fish face eh? i never thought of you that way before :-) i think you're a cool mom!

Anonymous said...

This only adds to your coolness!

Alisa said...

Ah, that's too funny! Joel & I got a kick out of this one. It reminds us of the time when Andrew asked Joel, "Daddy, why do you have a nest in your nose?"