Today I learned from Seth where I stand versus where Jim stands! It made me proud... (sorry Jim, the truth sometimes hurts)
I watch another little girl after school. She is a fun little 1st grader! Today coming out of the school she and Seth were arguing about who would pull her backpack. Seth wanted to pull it because his stuffed turtle was riding on it, but she wanted to pull it because "she makes the rules for her backpack". Their conversation went something like this.
Seth, "You don't make the rules"
AJ, "Yes, I do"
Seth, "No you don't! You don't make the rules"
AJ- "Okay, I don't make all the rules. Just the rules for my backpack because it is mine"
Seth, "You do not make the rules for everything!"
AJ, "Yeah. I just make the rules for my backpack. God makes all the rules"
Seth, "I know! You don't make the rules. God just does."
AJ, "God makes rules and... (wait for it!!)... YOUR MOM! Your mom just makes the rules too. Lots of the rules"
Seth, "Yeah, God and my mom make the rules. Here you pull your backpack"
And the argument ceased on the agreement that God and I make the rules. HA! So, God and I make the rules huh? That puts me pretty high up there in ranking and just wait until you hear the rules I have for you! (Funny thing is my "rules" aren't all that strict... Top 3 rules after school- Rule 1: When we get home put your bag/shoes away and wash hands. Rule 2- Sit at the table for snack and clear your trash
Rule 3- No rowdy or rough play inside- "those are outside games!")
Now where Jim stands...
Seth and I are having a lovely conversation about how maybe one day we could go visit Ruff-Ruff where he is buried and take him flowers (PROBLEM! We didn't bury Ruff Ruff...) So, I explained how Ruff Ruff doesn't have his own tombstone but he is buried with lots of other dogs (?!?) and that we could do some things to remember him that would still be special and he can see us from heaven. Then how sometimes you can bury your pets and put a marker and if Seth wanted to do that for an animal in the future we certainly could. And that cemeterys (like the one we were passing off I-35) were only for people and not pets.
I can't remember the exact conversation but it included all of those elements. This part I do remember though because I had to choke back the laughter...
Seth, "Mom, when is Dad going to die?"
Mom, "Why do you think Dad is going to die?"
Seth, "Well he is just going to die soon because he is 30 already and that is just close to 50 so he will probably die."
And Seth says this all matter-of-fact like he is talking about his homework being due on Friday. So I said, "Well Seth hopefully Dad won't die anytime soon because 30 isn't very old at all. In fact, sometimes people die sooner but hopefully Dad will live all the way until you are a grownup. Just like grandparents and great grandparents are still alive... etc." Then Seth figured out how old Jim would be when Seth is thirty and was thoroughly impressed with the results of that math! Here's hoping Jim is still around then and that this decade doesn't bring his death... although Seth wouldn't be surprised and I do make the rules so Jim better watch out!
Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Where Jim and I stand
Posted by Jules at 7:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hilarious!! Oh, if only I had the power to make the rules. How do you get that power??
Did you tell Seth how old Grammy and Grandpa are? He might be expecting us to kick the bucket any minute.
CA Mom
Man--I don't know-30 is pretty old! Everyone is getting so old!
:-) except me--i'm only 23!
Anyway, your boys always say the funniest things! And CUTE pics of the birthday boy--2 years! good job making it through!
Post a Comment